Rat Queens Volume 1: Sass & Sorcery (Paperback)
Title: Rat Queens
This is awesome! Wiebe & Upchurch did EVERYTHING right:
1. Characters: These are some well-rounded characters. They're seriously bad-ass women, but each realistic, unique, fully realized and the very opposite of the tired one-dimensional "strong female protagonists" we're all sick of. These ladies are legit, with compelling back stories, and personalities that make you want to keep finding out more!
2. Plot: A great mystery and adventure all wrapped up in one.
3. Style & Tone: This is what makes this graphic novel series really fully unique. It's funny, it's crazy, it's weird, it's mysterious. The D&D satire is SPOT ON (but still fun even if you're not familiar with RPG).
4. Illustrations: Damn. Beautiful in every frame, masterfully manipulates the eye to go just where they want it to, but the illustrator's talent really shines through when you get sucked into staring at an incredibly expressive portrait of a character's face. Amazing.
Bonus: The leading ladies are sexy, but in a way that clearly shows that they own their bodies and clothing and make their wardrobe choices of their own volition, rather than the illustrator putting them into whatever the male gaze would prefer. They're also shaped both realistically and in varied ways. Both very uncommon these days in comics. Well done, guys.— From Zazu's Past Picks 2
- Who are the Rat Queens? A pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire, and they're in the business of killing all god's creatures for profit. It's also a darkly comedic sass-and-sorcery series starring Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief. This modern spin on an old school genre is a violent monster-killing epic that is like Buffy meets Tank Girl in a Lord of the Rings world on crack
- Collecting the first five issues of the sold-out hit series at the special introductory price of $9.99